Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Kurang Asam dan Pedas

So few weeks ago I met this lady at a seminar, we talked and she seemed like a friendly lady. Once she found out that I was a baker, she immediately suggested that we could be business partner. 

Few days after that, she called me to discuss about the collaboration thing that she told me earlier. I thought, wow, she really meant it. The business collaboration that she proposed sounds very good to me. I was asked to be a baking instructor at her cooking class, she teaches her signature dish, asam pedas, I teach baking stuff. Since it's a business, so why not? There's no reason to say no to money right? I instantly gave her green light. Oh and I call her kak.

After we set the date and everything, kak asked me to do the promotional poster. It seems natural that the younger one should do it right? So I said ok.

I did my first version, she didn't say anything about it but asked me to meet her at a local restaurant with wifi. When we reached the restaurant, she didn't like the seat I choose, too near to the window. She moved to another seat, she felt warm, no air-conditioned. She moved again, now feeling cooler with air-cond, but still complaint saying too noisy. She saw the empty "reserved" area, so she asked the waiter.

Nanti ada event kah? Bising kah? Jam berapa mereka sampai?

After considering for a few minutes, she finally agreed to sit there. When it's time to order our food, She kept asking me what was this, what was that cause she said she can't see even with her spectacles. Hence, I carefully explained everything to her. Finally, she decided to order sweet and sour fish, then she called the waiter.

"Ini ikan ape ye? Ada sayur ke?" She asked.

The waiter quickly inquired about it in the kitchen.

"Pirate fish" The waiter replied.

"Apa? Pirate fish. Ikan apa tu? Apa nama bahasa melayunya?" 
She furthered asked. I was watching in astonishment while sitting beside her.

The waiter went back to the kitchen to ask again.Then came back saying, tidak tau nama melayu.
She kept on pondering as if making her once in a life time decision, she even GOOGLED the fish! OMG! She also kept discussing with me about the type of fish. Finally, she made up her mind.

So the manager found out about this fiasco and hurriedly came out to explain to her that it's not dory fish which she didn't like. It's a good quality sea fish. After being rest assured that she's being served with the highest quality sea fish, she eventually settled down and started to talk about our business. Half an hour wasted on that damn fish.

Apparently she didn't like my first design, so it's okay, nobody likes the first draft anyway. She told me some of her ideas. Then we moved on to figuring out how to manage her 4 facebook accounts. Only God knows how did she came up with so many accounts.

I spent a lot of time explaining to her about facebook things. She even wanted to make a blog, so she mentioned about wanting to go to my house to use my wifi to do it. I didn't give much serious thought about it at first. Luckily I had a gathering after that, or else we could be there until midnight just having social media 101 lesson. She had 2 sons to do it, but instead of asking for their help, she asked this stranger whom she just met for the third time.

I went home and edited the poster, she was not satisfied, I edit again. Still not satisfied,  edit again. 
I was already getting annoyed and anxious. She still didn't like it, so she called me and said wanted to come to my house to do it cause got wifi. I was like WHAT?! Is this kak for real?  We only met each other 3 times! So I told her my house under renovation, no wifi, I used my own limited data to do her poster at another house.

Nevertheless, she still manage to stop by for a while. In the car, she brought her laptop, she asked me to save her version in my USB. Then she SPECIFICALLY instructed me to do this and that. I went home and immediately edited according to her instructions. 

I let her see. STILL not satisfied. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN! So I decided to give her one last chance, I edit it for the one last time. If she still reject, I'm gonna end this whole thing. 

Can you guess what's her reply? You got it. Still not satisfied.

Fudge this shit.

Enough is enough. I straight away message her nicely that I cannot do it for her anymore nor can I be her baking instructor. She called me right after that.

You marah ke? She asked nicely.

Eh Hello siape yang tak marah?! You think I ni sangat senang ke nak balik balik buat kerje untuk kau, U ingat u je yang busy? I pun busy juga. I kene buat order, kene attend event, kene prepare speech, masak, buat kerja rumah, part time writer. U ingat u je yang tak pandai buat, I pun google juga. I belajar sambil buat lah. U mau font yang fancy fancy tu, I memang tak dapat buat. I ni bukan designer pun. I cume seorang baker je. Kak nak cantik cantik, u hire lah professional designer. U ingat I ni boleh hari hari buat poster untuk u?! Edit 8 kali dah, 8 kali! Masih tak puas hati. U nak macam mane?! Poster yang sepatutnya simple simple u jadikan so complicated. Kak kene faham, I work WITH you, not FOR you. I tak ambil gaji buat poster ni tau. Sebenarnya poster ni asalkan ada important infomation, dah lah. Tak payah nak susah susah. Kak tap pernah nampak poster ke?

Of course I didn't type that lah. I don't know where that Semenanjung slang comes from. She is the second women that I've met who is so fussy, demanding, troublesome and thick-skinned. As much as it pained me to end this collaboration, I had to do it. I need to end it for the sake of my sanity. I cannot work people like this. Making the poster alone already gave me such gigantic headache, imagine the future. I don't think I will have my own space after collaborating with her. I can't imagine her inviting herself to my house every now and then just to teach her managing social media, not to mention blogging lagi. Bu tiam oh wei. I'd rather not earn her money than to have my peace of mind. She just crossed that fine line, I couldn't imagine how many lines is she going to cross in the future. She took advantage of my house free wifi, so rich, but so kiamsiap, don't want to install own wifi. 

In the phone, she terus changed her mind saying that she's fine with the last edit. You should have said that a few edits ago. After persuading me for 7 whole minutes on the phone, she finally gave up. It wasn't easy for me to stay assertive on my side. I'm not good at rejecting people. So I wanna applaud myself for bravely doing that. The moment I hit the send button, my hands were shaking with sweat you know. Heart racing and pounding as if I'm running away from a predator. It was nerve-wrecking!

Now that everything is settled, I felt a sudden relief, the big boulder on my shoulder had disappeared for good. My psychologist said I either continue to work with her or accept the way she is. 还是一刀两断最好,快打斩乱麻,以免未来无法自拔。

I think this is my first post using three languages.

Lesson learnt, not every open door leads to golden opportunity. Sometimes, when something sounds too good to be true, there's a catch behind it. Usually a price to pay. In this case, my sanity. Be careful when choosing a business partner, know their personality, their standards, their way of doing things before finally saying yes. Some money are better left not earned, or else you'll earn yourself a huge pain in the ass.

No comments: